UPDATE 12-12-2014: I HAVE RECEIVED SOME MESSAGES REGARDING FIRMWARE FILE LINKS. I WILL POST ALTERNATIVE LINKS WHEN I WILL HAVE SOME FREE TIME.
UPDATE 17-07-2016: AS FIREDRIVE LINKS ARE NO LONGER WORKING (IDENTIFIED AS VIRUSES), I HAVE UPDATED LINKS AGAIN TO MAKE FILES AVAILABLE.
Hello everyone. I know there are many articles/Guides for How to flash N900 but all of them are with old Nokia hosted flashing files. Here i will add latest links for flashing Files and Flasher. As all N900 users know that Maemo Community is now on its own and is running on Donations. Well lets start flashing N900.
IF YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THEN PLEASE CLICK ON ADS IN THIS PAGE. THANKS.
This guide is written in step by step way to make as easy as possible. First of All a Little warning.
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU GET IN ANY PROBLEM COMMENT BELOW OR ON FACEBOOK PAGE I WILL TRY MY BEST TO ASSIST YOU.
MUST READAS SKEIRON.ORG IS NO LONGER WORKING, I HAVE UPLOADED FILES TO ANOTHER FILE HOSTING WEBSITE. LINKS STATED IN STEP 2 AND 2.1 ARE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINKS UPLOADED BY ME. DOWNLOAD THEM AND SKIP STEP 3.
1.1. Copy all your contents from internal EMMC as it will also format/flash Internal SD Card.
2. Download flashing files from Here and Flasher 3.5 from Here (Please only download if you don't have flasher and Firmware files and DO NOT ABUSE.)
2.1. Download modified Combined Here. You will get 5GB of Optfs (Application Storage) and 24Gb for your Personal files storage a.k.a MyDocs.
3. Select the files for your Region/Country and Download. For example i'm using Middle East Versions of flashing files. (THIS STEP IS NO LONGER NEEDED. DOWNLOAD FILES FROM STEP 2)
4. When done downloading install flasher 3.5.exe which you downloaded.
5. Now Copy your flashing files to flasher directory where you have installed them. For example mine is installed in C: drive. If your is also in C drive then copy files to C:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5/
6. Now navigate press Start button>All Programs>Maemo>Flasher 3.5 and Open Flasher 3.5 program.
6.1. It will open a CMD window which will look like this.
7. Now switch off your N900 and connect your Data Cable/PC Cable to your PC and while holding ''U'' key on N900's keyboard; plug in Data Cable in your N900.
8. N900 will wake up and will show dim Nokia screen and a USB icon at the upper right corner of screen and your PC will start installing N900's drivers necessary for flashing.
9. Now open flasher windows and type this (without quota's) ''flasher-3.5 -F '' and now copy your rootfs file name that you have copied to flasher director with .bin extension. Here is how it will look.
''flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.003_PR_COMBINED_003_ARM.bin -f''
9.1. When you press enter flasher will start flashing. In Windows 7, it will ask for permission grant it and then it will open a another window and will continue flashing. Wait for it when its done. it will close the 2nd window automatically while in Windows XP it will continue in the same window and will say Done. After this continue with the Next Step.
10. Now do step 9 again but this time replace flashing file name with 2nd file in your flasher directory. Should look like this.
''flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R''
When you try to flash your EMMC, flasher will put N900 in flash mode and you PC will install additional drivers in order to flash EMMC. (Please read notes at the bottom of this page for more info about this)
10.1. When you press enter it will open another window. Wait till it install all the drivers and then it will continue.
11. Now you device will try to reboot and if doesn't reboot automatically then reboot it manually. It may take a minute or two at showing white dots after that whoola! Your start up screen.
12. Configure all settings like you want. Restore your backup, install your apps. Next I will write a guide for how to tweak your N900 after flashing.
1. Flasher will not flash EMMC in Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2. It just stays at ''Suitable USB device not Found''. If you are using any of these then please don't ask about it as there are no solution for it. Install Service Pack 3 and flasher will be more than happy to continue.
2. There are some additional methods for 64 bit versions of Windows. I don't know how to make flasher work in 64-bit version's of Windows as i never used them.
3. Best OS for flashing is Windows 7 32-Bit. I haven't encountered any problem in Win 7 so far.
4. Happy flashing. Like my Facebook Page http://facebook.com/n900tips for more tips and apps.
5. Step 3 is no longer required. Links are updated in step 2 with direct links. If any file is no longer available then inform me.